A Tale of Two Siblings

Dublin Core

Subject

Description

My dad with his only living sister/sibling - both immigrated here on their own from China when they were in their teens/early 20's. Coming to America meant they would never see their parents again. It was a heartbreaking price, apparently mutually acceptable to the parents who wished to see the children break free from dire poverty/communism and for the children who were ready to embrace the new world and chase hard after the American dream.

Now, a lifetime later...in their 80's (although, both belie their years), my dad and his sister are together and reserved, even though this is only the 5th time they've seen each other in over 50 years. They just sit quietly next to each other, every once in a while they say something barely audible to anyone else at the table except each other. And on occasion, I catch the glimpse of a smile and a nod. Perhaps, their modest and unassuming Chinese heritage runs deeper than I realize. Perhaps, there isn't much that needs to be said.

Over the decades, their worlds have expanded with children and grandchildren; it's obvious they have lived a full life. Yet, it was his sister's stroke last year that prompted the silver lining experience of the two of them rekindling a closeness they hadn't shared since they were children themselves...a gift of a second chance.

When I look at them together now, I can't help but think of all they have sacrificed, their struggles and how physically hard they worked to succeed in this country. I wonder what they think about...their memories of those precious few years with their parents in their homeland, what regrets they might have...and how they view their lives now in retrospect to how they dreamt life would unfold for them in the new world.

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known."
Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

Creator

Source

Publisher

Date

Contributor

Format

Identifier

Coverage

Files

dl_imm_0033.jpg

Citation

Lon Martin, “A Tale of Two Siblings,” American Stories, accessed June 30, 2024, https://lis5472.cci.fsu.edu/sp17/group2/items/show/38.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.